IMBOLC – 2nd February
Imbolc, or Imbolg, also called Saint Brigid’s Day, is a Gaelic traditional festival marking the beginning of spring. It was traditionally held on 1 February. It lands about halfway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. Historically, it was widely observed throughout Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man. It is one of the four Gaelic seasonal festivals—along with Bealtaine, Lughnasadh and Samhain. For Christians, especially in Ireland, it is the feast day of Saint Brigid.
Imbolg translates as “In the belly”. Signs of life are beginning to stir, new life is visible and the earth is waking up. Goddess Brigid is the goddess of fire, pregnant and soon to give birth to the Sun.
Imbolc is the time to be letting go of the past and starting to look forward to the future. It is a time for reflecting on new opportunities and learning from past mistakes.
Imbolc, and it’s connection to fire, (the earth firing up and starting its engines), is the perfect time for Candle Magick.
Imbolc Prosperity Spell
- Green Candle
- Red Candle
- White Candle
- Cinnamon Essential Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Rose Essential Oil
- Create a peaceful space, relax (maybe play some soothing music), close your eyes and take deep, slow and rhythmic breaths, and centre yourself until feel calm and at one with yourself.
- Hold the 3 candles between your palms and begin to think about what it is you wish for.
- See yourself living your life with your wishes in place. Don’t be greedy, this is a time to wish for what you desire, but not overly desire.
- Keeping your wishful thoughts, place the 3 candles on a plate, in suitable holders, green on the left, white in the middle and red on the right.
- Still visualising your desired wishes, anoint the green candle with a few drops of Cinnamon Essential Oil, the white candle with Lavender Essential Oil and the red candle with Rose Essential Oil.
- Once again, focus on your wishes, see your wish fulfilled in as much detail as possible. Now light the candles from left to right.
- Stare into the candle flames and ask the Goddess Brigid to help clear the pathway for your desires to reach you. Speak from the heart. If you wish you may prepare your speech in advance. Elaborate or simple, just be sure your request to Brigid is from the heart.
- Now, close your eyes once more and focus for a few more minutes on your life being transformed once your wishes have been fulfilled.
Now would be the perfect opportunity to gently release any built up energy as you continue your Imbolc celebrations with a simple feast.